Motorcycle enthusiasts of all ages agree: it's not just a ride, it's a passion. That sense of freedom and "being one with the road" gives motorcycling its allure -- and danger.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that in 2005 in the U.S., 4,553 fatalities and 87,000 injuries were caused by motorcycle accidents and in Maryland, 86 fatalities and 1,348 injuries occurred as a result of motorcycle accidents. Motorcyclists are about 34 percent more likely to be killed and 8 percent more likely to be injured in an accident as compared to passenger car occupants.
Butschky, Ehlers & Butschky is a small legal practice based in Maryland, and representing clients who have been injured in motorcycle accidents throughout the Mid-Atlantic area. As experienced personal injury attorneys, we ensure that you receive the proper medical care, document your injuries properly, prove liability, and receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Important Note: Maryland is one of the few states that still upholds a "contributory negligence" law -- meaning if you are found to be even 1/100th of a percent responsible for the motorcycle accident where you sustained injuries, your insurance claim can be denied. This is why it is critical to retain a personal injury attorney who understands the intricacies of Maryland law and the insurance system. We are experts in both.
Motorcycle accidents share many of the same causes as automobile accidents -- negligent driving, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, road or weather conditions, faulty equipment. But because motorcycles are at a physical disadvantage when pitted against larger vehicles and the environment, they are more prone to serious accidents.
Factors affecting motorcycle accidents include:
- Motorcycles are smaller and harder to see than other vehicles. Other drivers may misjudge an approaching, merging, or passing motorcyclist's speed and distance.
- A motorcyclist can be hidden in a driver's blind spot; passenger vehicle drivers involved in motorcycle accidents often say they never saw the motorcycle.
- Road or weather conditions that may be annoyances to passenger vehicle drivers can be extremely hazardous to motorcyclists.
- When a crash occurs, motorcyclists are more vulnerable to injury or death.
Butschky, Ehlers & Butschky only represents plaintiffs who have been injured in motorcycle accidents -- not those at fault. This allows us to focus entirely on relieving our clients of the burden of pursuing an insurance claim or litigating for compensation for their injuries. Our goal is to help our clients recover from their injuries with the peace of mind that comes from knowing an experienced personal injury attorney is handling legal matters.
If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident...
- Seek immediate medical attention and document your injuries.
- Get all the information you can about the other party.
- Note the details on the circumstances surrounding the accident.
- DO NOT speak to the insurance company! This is very important, as injured people can be misled into giving statements that will be used to deny their claim.
- Contact us for a free consultation to see if you may have a legitimate claim.
To schedule a complimentary consultation, please call us at 410-472-3651 or 800-722-6616, or send us an email. (Mention you found us on the Internet for a special discount.)
For more helpful information in what to do if you're in a car, truck, SUV, or motorcycle accident in Maryland or elsewhere in the Mid-Atlantic, please see our blog articles on "Help! I've Been in an Accident!"